Episodes discussed: Doctor Who 1×5 World War Three and Buffy 1×5 Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
World War Three
Written by Russell T. Davies; Directed by Keith Boak
The Doctor, Rose, and Harriet Jones (M.P. for Flydale North) battle the wicked Slitheen while trapped within Downing Street, and the Doctor is faced with a difficult choice. Discussion Points Include:
- The silly Slitheen
- Terrorism, modern warfare, and protocol
- Harriet Jones as a model of good government
- The Doctor’s alien arrogance and human compassion
- Mickey the Idiot, juvenile Jackie, and Rose’s growing pains
- The Doctor’s dilemma: Save the world or save Rose?
Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
Written by Rob Des Hotel & Dean Batali; Directed by David Semel
Giles finds it difficult to keep Buffy focused on vampire slaying when she begins a relationship with her shy, sensitive classmate Owen. Discussion points include:
- Buffy’s dilemma: Can she do both?
- The outrageously sensitive Owen
- Owen vs. Angel: Buffy’s brooding, Byronic boyfriends
- Confident Cordelia and Xander, the perpetual third wheel
- The Anointed One and Whedonesque red herrings
- Giles’ watchful mentorship
Next time: Doctor Who 1×6 Dalek and Buffy 1×6 The Pack.