Episodes discussed: Buffy 2×6 Halloween and Doctor Who 2×4 The Girl in the Fireplace
Written by Carl Ellsworth; Directed by Bruce Seth Green
When Buffy and her friends buy their Halloween costumes from a new shop, they find themselves taking their roles rather seriously. Discussion points include:
- Costumes, acting and role-playing
- Buffy’s stereotypical alter-ego
- Does Willow’s confidence come from her costume?
- Cordelia: Both shallow and deep
- Two-faced Janus
- Is tweedy Giles just a role, too?
The Girl in the Fireplace
Written by Steven Moffat; Directed by Euros Lyn
The Doctor & co. visit a 51st century spaceship riddled with doorways leading into the life of 18th century French aristocrat, Madame de Pompadour. Discussion Points Include:
- The marvelous Madame de Pompadour
- The Doctor’s Vulcan mind-meld
- The slow path and duty
- Monsters under the bed and the Lonely Angel
- “It’s more than just a secret”: Names and titles
- Broken promises and magic doors
Next time: Doctor Who 2×5 Rise of the Cybermen and Buffy 2×7 Lie to Me.