Episodes discussed: Buffy 3×2 Dead Man’s Party and Doctor Who 3×8 Human Nature.
Dead Man’s Party
Written by Marti Noxon; Directed by James Whitmore, Jr.
Buffy and her friends confront each other when Buffy’s Welcome Home Party goes awry. Discussion points include:
- The fractured Scoobie Unit
- Kat and Curt play Point/Counterpoint with the Scoobies
- Buffy and Xander butt heads
- Giles’ unconditional support
- The necessity of communication
- Why would Joyce let this party happen?
Written by Paul Cornell; Directed by Charlie Palmer
To hide from a ruthless family of aliens, the Doctor disguises himself as human and hides with Martha in 1913. Discussion Points Include:
- Doctor Who adapts itself: Paul Cornell’s Human Nature novel
- 1913: Edwardian England, public schools, and World War I
- Institutionalized gender, race, and class discrimination
- Maidservant Martha
- Smith and Joan
- The Doctor vs. John Smith
Download a free e-book version of the Human Nature novel from Goodreads.com.
Next time: Doctor Who 3×9 The Family of Blood and Buffy 3×3 Faith, Hope & Trick.