Episodes discussed: Buffy 3×4 Beauty and Beasts and Doctor Who 3×10 Blink
Beauty and Beasts
Written by Marti Noxon; Directed by James Whitmore Jr.
Oz is suspected when a vicious beast starts attacking the people of Sunnydale. Discussion points include:
- Why is beauty singular and beasts plural?
- Men and their beastly dopplegangers
- Oz controls his wild side
- Pete & Debbie as a cautionary tale for Buffy & Angel
- Angel’s rescue and feminism
- Faith the faithless
Written by Steven Moffat; Directed by Hettie MacDonald
Photographer Sally Sparrow explores an abandoned old house where she encounters terrifying monsters and messages from the Doctor. Discussion Points Include:
- The origins and legacy of “Blink”
- “Sad is happy for deep people”: Old things and nostalgia
- Sally Sparrow and the Nightingales
- Death, the brevity of life, and the horror of the Weeping Angels
- Audience participation and the rules of the Quantum Lock
- Easter eggs and “timey-wimey” mythology
Bonus: Read Steven Moffat’s original short story that inspired “Blink”: “What I Did On My Christmas Holidays” by Sally Sparrow.
Next time: Doctor Who 3×11 Utopia and Buffy 3×5 Homecoming.