Note on the audio: We had some audio syncing issues this week. Please forgive us for any oddities. If Kat laughs in a couple weird places, just go with it; it’s probably Curt’s fault.
Episodes discussed: Buffy 3×8 Lovers Walk and Doctor Who 4×0 Voyage of the Damned
Written by Dan Vebber; Directed by David Semel
Spike makes a chaotic return to Sunnydale and serves as a catalyst for all sorts of confrontations between the Scoobies. Discussion Points Include:
- What does “Lovers Walk” mean?
- Callbacks and continuity
- Spike catalyzes couples in crisis
- Spike’s mixture of humor and danger
- Angelic ambiguity
- The breaking of the quadrangle
Voyage of the Damned
Written by Douglas Petrie; Directed by James A. Contner
The Doctor winds up on the doomed vessel Starship Titanic. Discussion points include:
- The Doctor stumbles Starship Titanic
- Potential companion Astrid
- The selfish rich vs. the penniless dreamers
- Doctor Who does a disaster movie
- Self-sacrifice and unfulfilled potential
- The Doctor’s increasing frustration in the face of death
Next time: Doctor Who 4×1 Partners in Crime and Buffy 3×9 The Wish.