Episodes discussed: Buffy 3×18 Earshot and Doctor Who 4×10 Midnight.
Written by Jane Espenson; Directed by Regis Kimble
Buffy enjoys the sudden ability to hear her schoolmates’ thoughts they take a shocking and disturbing turn. Discussion points include:
- Unfortunate real-world circumstances
- Just what is Ascension?
- Repressed Jonathan
- “Everyone is dealing with their own [pain]”
- The people on the fringes
- The deafening cacophony of thoughts
Written by Russell T. Davies; Directed by Alice Troughton
The Doctor “takes a big space truck with a bunch of strangers across a diamond planet called Midnight. What could possibly go wrong?” Discussion points include:
- Theatricality and simplicity
- Companion-lite and comforting Donna
- Midnight: Transition, the witching hour, and the alchemical Nigredo
- The terrifyingly unknowable Midnight Entity monster
- The worst aspects of humanity
- Stripping the Doctor down
Next time: Doctor Who 4×11 Turn Left and Buffy 3×19 Choices.