Episodes discussed: Doctor Who 6×11 The God Complex & Angel 1×15 The Prodigal
The God Complex
Written by Toby Whithouse; Directed by Nick Hurran
The Doctor and the Ponds find themselves in a creepy, Shining-esque hotel. Discussion points include:
- Toby Whithouse’s themes and Nick Hurran’s influence
- Gods, monsters, security cameras, and fish bowls
- The Minotaur: Predator or victim?
- What’s the purpose of the fears?
- The brilliant Rita and the disappointing Gibbous
- Amy’s shattered faith and the Doctor’s fear
Written by Tim Minear; Directed by Bruce Seth Green
Kate confronts her daddy issues while Angel remembers his own troubled relationship with his father. Discussion points include:
- Parallel daddy issues
- Liam’s domestic origin story
- Trevor’s good intentions
- The prodigal and faithful children
- Darla mentors Angelus
- Kate’s denial and disgust
Next time: Buffy 4×16 Who Are You? and Doctor Who 6×12 Closing Time.