Episodes discussed: Buffy 4×19 New Moon Rising and Doctor Who 7×2 Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
New Moon Rising
Written by Marti Noxon; Directed by James A. Contner
Oz comes back to Sunnydale having learned new meditation techniques and causes Willow to question her relationship with Tara. Discussion points include:
- Oz is (temporarily) back!
- How complete is Oz’s recovery?
- Willow stops waiting
- Willow and Tara make a serious commitment
- Riley makes up his mind
- Spike and Adam team up
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
Written by Chris Chibnall; Directed by Saul Metzstein
The Doctor and his new gang have to prevent a spaceship full of (you guessed it) dinosaurs from crashing into Earth. Discussion points include:
- The best or the worst?
- The Doctor’s gang
- Trying to give up the Ponds
- Nasty Solomon gets his comeuppance
- Brian (not a) Pond
- Weaning off of the Doctor
Next time: Doctor Who 7×3 A Town Called Mercy and Angel 1×19 Sanctuary.
Episodes discussed: Doctor Who 7×1 Asylum of the Daleks and Angel 1×18 Five by Five
Asylum of the Daleks
Written by Steven Moffat; Directed by Nick Hurran
The Daleks abduct the Doctor and the Ponds to infiltrate the Dalek Asylum where they meet a woman trapped in a crashed spaceship. Discussion points include:
- The surprise appearance of Jenna Coleman
- The Doctor saves the Daleks
- The determined and chipper Oswin Oswald
- Remembering and forgetting
- Fixing the Ponds’ marriage
- Amy’s anger and Rory’s martyrdom
Five By Five
Written Jim Kouf; Directed by James A. Contner
Faith turns up in L.A. and is hired by Wolfram & Hart to assassinate Angel. Discussion points include:
- Filling in Angel’s backstory
- Angel’s empathy for Faith
- Faith’s breakthrough (finally!)
- Has Wesley changed his mind?
- Faith’s death drive
- The three L’s of Wolfram & Hart
Next time: Buffy 4×19 New Moon Rising and Doctor Who 7×2 Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.
Episodes discussed: Buffy 4×18 Where the Wild Things Are and the Doctor Who 2011 Christmas Special The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe
Where the Wild Things Are
Written by Tracey Forbes; Directed by David Solomon
As Buffy and Riley grow closer, their passion disturbs a number of ghosts in Riley’s house as well as the other blossoming Scoobie couples. Discussion points include:
- Heavy-handed collegiate metaphors
- Too serious or too silly?
- Finally, more screen time for Anya!
- Spike reminds everyone that he’s a bad guy
- Is Willow’s behavior influenced?
- Giles rocks out to The Who
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe
Written Steven Moffat; Directed by Farren Blackburn
The Doctor crash-lands in London during the Blitz and befriends a housewife and her children. Discussion points include:
- Silent links?
- A Pond reunion
- “What is this salty discharge?”
- Taking a cue from C.S. Lewis
- The importance of family
- The fear of future loss
Next time: Doctor Who 7×1 Asylum of the Daleks and Angel 1×18 Five by Five.