Episodes discussed: Doctor Who 7×5 The Angels Take Manhattan and Angel 1×20 War Zone
The Angels Take Manhattan
Written by Steven Moffat; Directed by Nick Hurran
The Doctor and the Ponds follow clues in a hard-boiled detective novel to 1930’s New York which the Weeping Angels have overwhelmed. Discussion points include:
- A case of diminishing returns?
- Hard-boiled film noir tropes
- The Ponds enter their thirties!
- Amy & Rory “live to death”
- Is the suicide problematic?
- Does the Doctor understand time as well as he says?
Link: Tie-in novel The Angel’s Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery
Prequel Storyboards: “P.S.” by Chris Chibnall
Written by Gary Campbell; Directed by David Straiton
Angel and his gang encounter the economic spectrum of Los Angeles through a nerdy billionaire and a gang of homeless teenagers. Discussion points include:
- The introduction of Gunn and David
- The social spectrum of L.A.
- Infantile David and his vampiric friends
- The charismatic but reckless Gunn
- Angel/Gunn parallels
- Subverting the superhero tropes
Next time: Buffy 4×21 Primeval and the 2012 Doctor Who Christmas Special The Snowmen.