Episodes discussed: Doctor Who 8×6 The Caretaker and Angel 2×8 The Shroud of Rahmon
Written by Gareth Roberts & Steven Moffat; Directed by Paul Murphy
The Doctor goes undercover as the caretaker at Clara’s school. Discussion points include:
- Caring vs. taking care
- Can Clara keep this up?
- Looking for trouble
- Danny’s difference from Mickey & Rory
- Clara’s Doctorish perspective
- Soldier and officer
The Shroud of Rahmon
Written by Jim Kouf; Directed by David Grossman
Angel goes undercover in order to foil a plan to steal a dangerous magical shroud. Discussion points include:
- The mystery structure
- Wesley’s interrogation
- Angel does Ocean’s 11
- Friction between Gunn & Angel
- Angel takes control
- What’s the takeaway for Kate?
Next time: Buffy 5×9 Listening to Fear and Doctor Who 8×7 Kill the Moon.
Episodes discussed: Buffy 5×8 Shadow and Doctor Who 8×5 Time Heist
Written by David Fury; Directed by Daniel Attias
Glory summons a monster to track down the missing Key, and Joyce undergoes some medical tests. Discussion points include:
- Her magnificence Glorificus
- Dawn’s reaction to the snake monster
- Buffy pummels a rubber snake
- The shadow monster
- Riley’s needs and Ben’s insight
- Tara’s growing confidence
Written by Steve Thompson & Steven Moffat; Directed by Douglas Mackinnon
The Doctor and Clara break into the most secure bank in the universe. Discussion points include:
- The basic watchability of Steve Thompson
- Does the plot make sense?
- The Doctor’s cluelessness
- Doctor Who does Ocean’s 11
- Competition over Clara
- “I hate the Architect”
Next time: Doctor Who 8×6 The Caretaker and Angel 2×8 The Shroud of Rahmon.
Episodes discussed: Doctor Who 8×4 Listen and Angel 2×7 Darla
Written by Steven Moffat; Directed by Douglas Mackinnon
While Clara attempts to go on a date with Danny Pink, the Doctor becomes obsessed with a particular nightmare. Discussion points include:
- The return of the “Moffat Prestige Piece”
- The audience as silent companions
- Monsters and fear
- Danny & Clara’s awkward first date
- Rupert & Orson
- The Doctor’s origins
Written and Directed by Tim Minear
Flashbacks reveal Darla’s origin story, crossing over with Spike, Angel, and Drusilla’s. Discussion points include:
- Minear mixes it up
- Darla’s origins
- Angel & Darla, the old married couple
- Recontextualizing the China flashbacks
- Darla’s death/immortality drive
- Can Darla be redeemed?
Next time: Buffy 5×8 Shadow and Doctor Who 8×5 Time Heist.
Episodes discussed: Buffy 5×7 Fool for Love and Doctor Who 8×3 Robot of Sherwood
Fool for Love
Written by Douglas Petrie; Directed by Nick Marck
In the effort to discover why Slayers always get killed, Buffy delves into Spike’s surprising backstory. Discussion points include:
- Does Buffy “get off” on slaying?
- Riley gets more cocky and reckless
- The history of the Slayers
- Spike the scorned
- William the Bloody Awful Poet
- Spike’s obsession with Buffy
Robot of Sherwood
Written by Mark Gatiss; Directed by Paul Murphy
When the Doctor asks Clara who she wants to meet most in the world, she asks to meet the legendary Robin Hood. Discussion points include:
- Clara’s hero worship
- No-nonsense schoolteacher Clara
- “Stories can make us fly”
- The Sheriff’s plans to take over THE WORLD!
- No silliness or banter allowed
- Doctor/Robin parallels
Next time: Doctor Who 8×4 Listen and Angel 2×7 Darla.